Tuesday, March 03, 2020

Day 6- Who do I need to forgive?

Today is day 6 of a series of 40 questions for Lent 

Today we're considering the issue of forgiving someone. I wonder who or what situation comes to mind when you sit down and think about this question. maybe someone close or even someone you don't know. It could be a small thing or it could be ultimate issue thing. It could have happened to you half an hour ago or waaaay back or anywhere in between.



So what exactly is forgiveness? Forgiveness is defined by some as giving up my right to hurt you, for hurting me. Forgiveness says I do not have to hear you say I am sorry in order for me to move forward with my life. Forgiveness is designed to set the victim free. It has nothing to do with the offender.

Many question if we forgive are we also encouraged to forget? Not so much. If we give it a biblical perspective when Jesus died on the cross to save our sins he called out to God asking him to “forgive them for they know not what they do”. Did that take Jesus off the cross. No. The same works with forgiveness here on earth today. Just because you forgive someone does not mean you are condoning their actions nor does it mean you think that person had the right to hurt you.  
So why should you forgive you may ask? Let me offer a few reasons why I personally believe one should forgive:
  • It sets you free
  • It helps you move forward with your life
  • It begins your healing process
  • It removes the anger and malice from your heart
  • You’re no longer giving someone else authority over your mind and heart
  • You’ll will have a peace of mind
  • You have the power to forgive
  • Forgiveness is the best revenge
  • Forgiveness is one of life’s greatest teachers
  • Forgiveness helps us release the victim mentality
https://www.huffpost.com

In all of this I suppose ultimately there is something really important - We forgive because we have been forgiven. I would find it extremely hard to pray the simplest of prayers if I was not living in an attitude of forgiveness - forgive us our tresspasses as we FORGIVE those who trespass against us.

What are you holding on to today? - could today be the day when you release that person, that situation over to God and forgive them for the hurt and the wrong they have done to you

Dear Lord, I thank You for the power of forgiveness, and I choose to forgive everyone who has hurt me. Help me set [name anyone who has offended you] free and release them to You [Romans 12:19]. Help me bless those who have hurt me [Romans 12:14]. Help me walk in righteousness, peace, and joy, demonstrating Your life here on earth. I choose to be kind and compassionate, forgiving others, just as You forgave me [Ephesians 4:32]. In Jesus’ name, amen.- Debbie Przybylski https://www.crosswalk.com/faith/prayer/4-prayers-for-forgiveness-for-sin-healing-and-others.html  

In preparing this I came across this contemporary song


It's the hardest thing to give away And the last thing on your mind today It always goes to those who don't deserve It's the opposite of how you feel When the pain they caused is just too real It takes everything you have to say the word... Forgiveness Forgiveness It flies in the face of all your pride It moves away the mad inside It's always anger's own worst enemy Even when the jury and the judge Say you gotta right to hold a grudge It's the whisper in your ear saying 'set it free' Forgiveness, Forgiveness Forgiveness, Forgiveness Show me how to love the unlovable Show me how to reach the unreachable Help me now to do the impossible Forgiveness, Forgiveness Help me now to do the impossible Forgiveness It'll clear the bitterness away It can even set a prisoner free There is no end to what its power can do So let it go and be amazed By what you see through eyes of grace The prisoner that it really frees is you Forgiveness, Forgiveness Forgiveness, Forgiveness Show me how to love the unlovable Show me how to reach the unreachable Help me now to do the impossible Forgiveness I want to finally set it free So show me how to see what Your mercy sees Help me now to give what You gave to me Forgiveness, Forgiveness Forgiveness, Forgiveness 
Forgiveness 

No comments: