Monday, February 24, 2020

Stepping carefully - treading lightly - the care of souls

As I set out on this year's Lenten Adventure - I do so lightly but purposefully.

On Sunday I preached a sermon about the importance of community in faith development right from the sacrament of Baptism.

This Lent I am hoping to progress through some basic questions, some 'under the bonnet' questions of our spiritual lives - but I do so as hopefully a companion on this journey of faith.

Recently I was at an institution service of a friend - at her service she received the 'cure of souls' of those in the parish. For me for too long I've struggled with this phrase - how could a Rector / Bishop have the responsibility of the 'cure of souls' - as we so often talk about cure as in the remedy of souls? or such like.

However I also do know that cure comes from the root to care for souls

My own job title as curate comes from this too.  This wrestling around this is important and has its roots of care for souls at the heart of the job title.

At the heart of this is care - and that is really important.

In this Lenten adventure as I blog about the 40 questions of Lent - I would love to have an interactive study through some of the deeper questions of life but I do so realising that I step carefully and tread lightly upon sacred ground.



One of the big questions of this soul care - is what is the soul ? .

Well let's start from the Bible:

Although English translations of the Bible at times use the word soul in different ways, the word most often refers to the nonmaterial part of a human being, also known as the human spirit. Created in the image of God, the soul or spirit seems to have more than one aspect or function, including the mind or intellect, the feelings or emotions, and the heart, which is “a person's entire mental and moral activity, both the rational and the emotional elements,” and which includes “the reason and the will” (Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, pp. 206-7). 
 If we take it to be that part of us that makes us us - Our entire mental and moral activity - both our rational and emotional element - both our reason and our will.

It then is a huge part of us - so when we ask how are you? - we're really enquiring - how is your soul?- that's huge

usually the answer we give in Ireland - I'm grand!  - that's what the other person wants to hear, and thats what we want to give - because we don't have time nor perhaps the ability at the time to process anything else.

But what happens when that's not true - what happens if we're on top form and we're really excited about the future or what happens if we're in the pit of despair or confusion?

This care for the soul is something that we all need to take seriously - for ourselves and for each other.

It seems to me with so much social interaction on social media and so many so-called (FB) friends or followers actually there is a need for authentic community.

This Lent I sense that there is a huge need in community here locally to re-connect with God, to take time out with Him and to explore what God is saying to our souls.  No sign-up required. I'm also happy to interact on Facebook, to meet up with people in the local area in coffee shops as we explore these questions together over a cuppa coffee. I have no idea where this adventure will take us but I do believe that we do need to take care of our souls - our very selves.

I've been very struck today by a poem by WB. Yates on a similar topic



Robert

No comments: