Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Ash Wednesday - Day 1 of Lent

Ash Wednesday is one of those strange days in the Church Calendar when Christians across the world meet together and do something out of the ordinary. It is a day when we are reminded that we're in a new season of the year.

It's a day when we're reminded of our own mortality, a day when we are reminded of the fragility of life but also it should be a re-focusing day. A day when we are reminded, no matter how important or unimportant we may feel - that things here are temporary.

There is a stark reminder from Scripture when ashes are imposed in the traditional service - 'From dust you came and to dust you shall return'. This starkness can be seen as bleak and possibly for some despair inducing reality. And indeed it would be if it were not for the good news that goes with it.

As Christians that phrase is not the end of the story. There is more than Birth, life and death. Ash Wednesday points to the more.

It points beyond ash to the cross of Christ - and with the cross of Christ comes forgiveness, grace and eternal life.

In my question series on Lent - I'm looking today at the question - How is your soul?

which basically boils down to the question - how are you?

It's a question that we ask day and daily but it is also a question that asked in this way - gets under the bonnet... It asks - how are things really?

This evening I'm preaching in St. Peter's Church in Carrigrohane  at 8pm where we'll be offering ashes - which seems strange thing to say but at the start of this season - its to remind us that we're all in this together, we're all human! but along side ashes we offer communuion -we offer fellowship, we offer good news in community.

There are no easy answers to the question about soul care, neither are there any right answers - good, bad but what I can say from experience and also from the experience of a great number of people down through the years - the Christian witness is that with Christ in our lives - we, our souls can be stregthened.

I am always struck when thinking about soul care of the words of  the hymn - It is well with my soul


When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well, with my soul
It is well
With my soul
It is well, it is well with my soul
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul
It is well (it is well)
With my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, o my soul
It is well (it is well)
With my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul
It is well (it is well)
With my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my sou


Horatio Spafford knew something about life’s unexpected challenges. He was a successful attorney and real estate investor who lost a fortune in the great Chicago fire of 1871. Around the same time, his beloved four-year-old son died of scarlet fever.
Thinking a vacation would do his family some good, he sent his wife and four daughters on a ship to England, planning to join them after he finished some pressing business at home. However, while crossing the Atlantic Ocean, the ship was involved in a terrible collision and sunk. More than 200 people lost their lives, including all four of Horatio Spafford’s precious daughters. His wife, Anna, survived the tragedy. Upon arriving in England, she sent a telegram to her husband that began: “Saved alone. What shall I do?”
Horatio immediately set sail for England. At one point during his voyage, the captain of the ship, aware of the tragedy that had struck the Spafford family, summoned Horatio to tell him that they were now passing over the spot where the shipwreck had occurred.1
As Horatio thought about his daughters, words of comfort and hope filled his heart and mind. He wrote them down, and they have since become a well-beloved hymn:

As we embark upon Lent - we're reminded of the Fragility of life but also of the eternal promises of God.

This Lent let's not be sombre and mope around - but let us take it as an opportunity to help, to heal, to take time to show love and to provide hope to those around about us.

Robert 

No comments: