Saturday, June 13, 2009

A Bit more on the ordination promises

Below is a continuation on my wee series of blog entries on the run up to ordination on Sunday 21st June. I realise that there are people who are not sure what happens at a church of Ireland ordination so I thought as I think about these things I would put them up for all to read.

The bishop asks those to be ordained

Do you believe and accept the holy Scriptures as revealing all things necessary
for eternal salvation through faith in Jesus Christ?
Answer I do.

Do you believe and accept the doctrine of the Christian faith as the
Church of Ireland has received it?
Answer I do.

In your ministry will you expound the Scriptures and teach that doctrine?
Answer By the help of God, I will.

Will you accept the discipline of this Church and give due respect to
those set over you in the Lord?
Answer By the help of God, I will
.
Will you be diligent in prayer, in reading holy Scripture, and in all studies
that will deepen your faith and fit you to uphold the truth of the Gospel?
Answer By the help of God, I will.

Will you strive to fashion your own life and your family relationships
according to the way of Christ?
Answer By the help of God, I will.

Will you be faithful in visiting the sick, in caring for the poor and needy,
and in helping the oppressed?
Answer By the help of God, I will.

Will you promote unity, peace, and love among all Christian people, and
especially among those whom you serve?
Answer By the help of God, I will.

Will you then, in the strength of the Holy Spirit, continually stir up the
gift of God that is in you, to make Christ known to all people?
Answer By the help of God, I will.

These questions and answers form the basis of the commitment which deacons make, which also are the basic issues for all Christian ministry to which all Christians are called to.

I suppose at the minute for me the challenge is how do I/we who are being ordained hold these things together with the other influences which come from societial norms - TV, Internet, Political Correctness advocates. How are we to be ambassadors for Christ in a culture which too quickly underminds and forgets the things of the Gospel.

The putting into place of daily prayer times, times of study the Bible and reading books, times of building relationships, pastoral visiting all have to be important as we begin this new phase of life. Alongside this is the times of meetings, of admin, of emails, telephone calls, of diaries and of filing.




1 comment:

MinisterMoo said...

May Sunday be the next step in a beautiful journey! Will be thinking of you.