Friday, January 02, 2009

From the wee burrow that is CITI

Well folks, 2009 is here with avengence 

This year started with me in an african - irish service .... what a strange way to begin the year. I went to the dublin and Glendalough watchnight service in Tallaght. It was fantastic - the church was full, the worship was good, the prayers were ...well ... what can I say but "spirit filled". Plenty of Halleluia's and Amens at the top of the voices. A great way to bring in the new year. The bit that got me was that the whole service was focusing on one particular verse ... Jeremiah 29:11-12 which of course means an awful lot to me and it was great to be able to focus on that for this year in particular.

So a couple of thoughts as I go into this new year 

Hope - There is much talk around about despair and depression at the moment with the economic downturn. What should our response as Christians be? ... if people have had the carpet pulled from under them, jobs lost, incomes down ... or whatever else may be going on there is always hope, there is always a future. 

Future - this year, will see changes in all of us here in college, we are embarking on an amazing adventure and only God know at this point where it will end. Whatever happens over the next months, it will promises to be an exciting journey. Of course it will not be a simple straight course, it will undoubtably have its ups and downs, its unexpected corners. One thing that I do know and hold fast to is that he has the plans. 

Over the course of the last couple of weeks I have been doing a lot of thinking about one particular area of theology which popped its head up in the last of my sermons which I would like to do a wee bit more thinking on ... the area of the "eschatological tension" - between the coming of the kingdom and the fulfilment of the Kingdom at the eschaton. Might do a separate blog on that in the near future! 

No comments: