Monday, August 19, 2019

Hebrews 12 - A Reflective Morning

Below is an outline of my thoughts from this mornings Reflective Prayer Service in Inniscarra


Setting the scene … we see time and again God’s faithfulness and The unfaithfulness of his people - But the need for confidence .. not in what we do but in who he is


This summer I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about this word confidence - It’s a word at the heart of the Diocesean Strategy and its a word which has cropped up time and again as I've chatted to people throughout life. 

Confidence is something that I wonder do we lack sometimes - being confident in our community, self confident and also confidence in our relationship with God. 

This morning I have simply taken a few verses from this mornings Epsitle reading and in this reflective service want to unpack a little bit of. This space allows us to take time to listen, to be still and to think 

To set the scene I want to go back to the Old Testament - to a period in Israels history where they are complaining to God as a people but God reminds them of who they are and what he thinks of them - Take a look at this video 




God says to us … My Love in Unconditional - simply trust me! 

I will never leave you or forsake you

Never ever - are we confident in that love  


The context of the passage we are about to read is the Writer to the hebrews … is talking about faith … faith of those who have gone before 

Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see 

Reading Hebrews 12:1-3 



















Our own thoughts sometimes hold us back - we pile things up thinking its helpful, or others say things to us which are truly unhelpful. Even when people, good people, say things which are maybe half true, or true for their own contexts but which makes us doubt something that is fundamental to our own identity.

I wonder what things do we need to let go off today? - What is slowing us down? what is helping us lack the confidence we have in our own relationship with God?


WHAT IS SLOWING US DOWN ?




LET US 2 - RUN WITH PERSEVERANCE 

This is a really cool little video take a watch of it


For the Love of Mary from Sharptail Media on Vimeo.


Yes the above video is about running - but it is also about the importance of perseverance and keeping going until the end.

In Pastoral Ministry - I am often reminded about the importance of keeping on keeping on even when times are tough.

The Church is at its best when we keep on keeping on and encouraging each other when the road is tough.  As I've been reflecting upon this passage this week I thank God for people around me who have encouraged my faith, and I want to be someone who encourages others.

This video and passage is a reminded that whatever age we are ... we need to keep on going. I need those of you who are older than me to keep on running ... to show me what I need to be doing in the years ahead ... to show me how to keep on running - I and my generation need you to keep running, to finish well

For those of you who are younger I want to encourage you to keep on going ... there's amazing adventures of faith ahead ... Life is worth living, faith is worth investing your time and your talents in

Keep on keeping on.

One example of someone who finished well and lived well was a lady called Helen Rosevere who lived in a parish next to mine in Belfast - here's what she said ...




We need people to encourage our faith, to talk about their life, to share their stories of faith

We need to be confident in who we are - what's your story?

If you're tempted to give up, to throw the towel in ... remember that we're called to look to Jesus ... the Author and perfecter of our faith.


No comments: