Sunday, September 05, 2010

After8-thoughts1 ... Sacrifice

One of the things I do appreciate about St. Columba's is the chance to be queried on Bible passages and things theological! ... Keeps me on my toes and causes me to go back to scripture and do a bit of thinking.

Tonight based upon our Isaiah passage I was asked the question ... why don't we sacrifice any longer animals? if God was looking for sacrificial offerings from his poeople who had been taken into exile ... Isaiah 42:22

"Yet you did not call upon me, O Jacob;
 but you have been weary of me, O Israel! 
23 You have not brought me your sheep for burnt-offerings,
 or honoured me with your sacrifices."


My initial thoughts & indeed discussion centred around - simply that Jesus was the once for all sufficient sacrifice for the sin of the world . Which yes sin was atoned for. Then we have the fact that our whole lives are to be living sacrifices and that what we do in church - our worship and our offering is our thanksgiving sacrifice

As we chatted around the subject very briefly, we soon began to discuss as to why Jews do no longer sacrifice to God post the fall of the temple when the priestly system was in ruin. Over the next wee while I hope to do a wee bit more reading up on this stuff. But I also know that I have many learned friends on Facebook & Blog .... this might be a good discussion why not comment.

I also am concious of the Hosea Passage which is often quoted
For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings'' [Hosea 6:6]

There are lots of others ... but maybe this is an interesting discussion to be having.

Temple



Update: as Gary has points out - Hebrews - indeed!

No comments: