Monday, August 31, 2009

My New Android!


Before heading of on my final stint of Summer Holidays I decided to treat myself to a new Gadget. Lots of friends have been showing me their apple iphones and telling me how great they are. Well I just could not justify the contract charges, knowing that I have a perfectly good phone line in the house which has inclusive minutes in. So I took a look around the internet and came up with a mighty alternative. An open source operating system phone call android. Which works on HTC phones.

Going on to ebay I managed to pick one of the handsets up - HTC MAGIC, and coupled with a pay and go sim with a 02 unlimited internet bolt-on for £7.50 my handset is now up and running - yeah!

Over the last few days I have been putting it through its paces ... booking trains, buses and bed and breakfast, allowing it to pin point where I am and how to get to places, so I am very pleased with how its going.

I don't trust it yet to put my diary on - so I think that will be left to the paper version for the short to medium term. But for emails, texts and calls it seems to be grand. Down south I have stuck my threepay sim in and for 10 EUR I have the unlimited data for a month so that is great :-)

What can an android do ... well. It connects to the mobile network and send & recieve email, it has various "apps" (applications) which are useful - Bible, Alarm Clock, Camera

and less useful gadegty apps include - your very own light saber, compass, bar-code scanner, pedometer,

and even less useful games such as connect four, checkers and noughts and crosses

But it does also connect to wifi, bluetooth to allow other connections.

All in all it should come in handy and I have not yet bowed to the peer pressure of "converting" to the apple way of thinking :-)

No comments: