Tuesday, October 30, 2018

The Recluctant Eco - IT'S TOO HARD!!! ... ??



OK,

This Blog post is written as a bit of a confession ... we're told confession is good for the soul ... hopefully its also good for the environment.

Sometimes we dont know what we should do, but sometimes we also do know what we shouldnt do!

Recently there was a very scary report to come out about Climate Change ... and we do need to do something about it ... we really do! It's not OK not to do something.

It's going to change everything. It really is!

This post is a confession that I haven't done the things that I should have ... but also I'm happy with how things are ... I'm very happy jumping on to an aeroplane and going somewhere. I'm also happy with the status quo - I dump recycling stuff into the ordinary household bin ... sure it's only a can.

But I also know that things do need to change ... we need to talk about the issues ... apparently we're told that for the government climate change is not on the doorsteps

I'm also content with the price I pay for petrol, jumping into my car and going where I want, when I want to go.

But it's not really OK? is it?

Perhaps this crisis might be helped a bit not just by Government but also the churches playing our part and standing up and making our voices heard on the issues.

Lets look a little bit at this:

We know what the problem is: 

- The world is in extreme danger from human action
http://www.un.org/depts/los/consultative_process/icp18_presentations/barrett.pdf

- As Christians we have a duty of care for this but are not doing what needs to be done

Why should we be doing something: 

- Us Anglicans have what we call the 5 Marks of Mission One of which is 'Safeguarding the integrity of creation' - which along with the other things within the marks of mission.
- The Roman Catholic Church recently stated
We need a conversation which includes everyone, since the environmental challenge we are undergoing, and its human roots, concern and affect us all. The worldwide ecological movement has already made considerable progress and led to the establishment of numerous organizations committed to raising awareness of these challenges.
Regrettably, many efforts to seek concrete solutions to the environmental crisis have proved ineffective, not only because of powerful opposition but also because of a more general lack of interest. Obstructionist attitudes, even on the part of believers, can range from denial of the problem to indifference, nonchalant resignation or blind confidence in technical solutions. We require a new and universal solidarity. As the bishops of Southern Africa have stated: “Everyone’s talents and involvement are needed to redress the damage caused by human abuse of God’s creation”. [22] All of us can cooperate as instruments of God for the care of creation, each according to his or her own culture, experience, involvements and talents.  Pt 14 - http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/encyclicals/documents/papa-francesco_20150524_enciclica-laudato-si.html
 - Then there is the political willingness to do the difficult stuff...
Days before the last general election, the man who would be minister for climate action, Denis Naughten, told RTÉ Radio’s Late Debate that when he was out canvassing, no-one on the doorsteps was asking about climate change.
He wasn’t saying it wasn’t important or that action wasn’t needed, but there was little in his contribution to suggest he was the person to inject a sense of urgency into the national response to the most pressing global issue of our time.

Two years on from his elevation to minister, there is still scant evidence that it has been similarly elevated in his mind from a challenge to the more appropriate category of crisis. https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/ourview/climate-change-an-urgent-matter--minister-must-tell-it-like-it-is-857718.html


I just wonder  are we in Crisis mode yet ... not that we want to create a crisis but I just wonder are we heading in for one if something isn't done.

I Call myself a reluctant Eco because I have other things to do - I have pastoral care to think about, I have a masters to complete, a wedding to arrange, bills to pay, work to be done and I have sunday services to prepare for and 101other things on this weeks to-do list and frankly its too hard to think what steps need to be completed in order to stop the world decaying in this generation. IT'S TOO HARD!

Then the thought of raising my head above the parapet on this issue might mean ... well I dont really know what it might mean ...

But just because its too hard does that mean it shouldn't be done?

I call myself reluctant because of what I think of eco warriors ... again this is a confession and I apologise because I have a stereotype in my mind of people who recycle everything, who live in wood houses in trees and who live off the food produced in their gardens... All of these things are good but I like supermarkets, My car and pineapples!

What can be done ... we need to talk, we need a conversation?

I wonder if this can be done in the mainstream of the church - maybe as a ecumenical venture with people who have the knowledge - I'm not sure what I'm calling for, or if I'm calling for anything in particular ... I just know theres a problem that's becoming a crisis very fast and we do need to do something about it.

Anyone have any ideas ... ANYONE?

This Blog was started a while back but was given priority by a chance meeting in a coffee shop in Blarney by someone I just met who had a passion for Climate Change & churches working together. Thanks F for your inspiration - we'll see what comes of this. 










No comments: