Sunday, June 27, 2010

Review of year 1

Below is a copy of the article which appeared in our parish Magazine ... the Columban

For the Summer Edition of the Magazine, the Editor has asked me to reflect upon my first 12 months in the Parish.
To describe my first year in ordained ministry - I could use many words, but all in all it has been a privilege, a joy, a massive learning experience, a challenge and simply great!

The rich diversity of ministry here in St Columba's is humbling, busy, serious and joyful ... to be honest there is absolutely nowhere better to be. This time last year I was coming straight from college, knowing lots of theory and lots of facts. This year has indeed been a steep learning curve - from things like keeping a diary
organised to sorting out youth ministry strategy, from leading Bible
Study to preparing couples for weddings,.

It has been a pleasure this year to get to know and work alongside the Rector, who has everything a first time curate needs when they arrive in their first parish. Our Rector John is someone who is organised, dependable, approachable and who has such a pastoral heart for those whom he serve and is able to share his experiences.

For me this year has been about laying foundations - of building relationships, getting to know parishioners, of journeying with them through some dark days (in cases of funerals & illness), some fantastically life changing days (in cases of weddings), some quiet days (as I have visited many houses), some crazy friday nights (funky seaweed dance :-)).

Parish life here is busy yes,(bowling, badminton, bible study, sermons, prayers, vestry, flower festival, mag articles, marathon, staff meetings, house calls, deanery, diocese, hospitals, funerals, sunday services ...) but I cannot think of anywhere else I would rather be than here in the place where I believe God has called me to,
right at this moment in time. I would just like to take this opportunity to thank all who have welcomed me, supported & encouraged me in the parish and look forward to seeing God continue in the years ahead to do His thing in this parish.

As this is the magazine after the flower festival, it would be amiss not to include it in this review … the smiles on faces, the working together as a parish team made it the success it was, from weeders to arrangers, from those who baked the scones and made the delicious strawberry jam to those who counted the money it would not have been possible without every single person. If we can pull this off and work together “to get the job done” what else is possible?

On a personal note I would also like to thank each person supported me on the day of my ordination, by their thoughts and prayers, by being there and by helping to serve most magnificent refreshments afterwards. Thank You!

Regards
Robert

No comments: